Driver’s License Reinstatement Following DUI Conviction

One consequence of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) and related convictions, such as Implied Consent Violation, is the loss of the person’s Tennessee driver’s license.  Depending upon the facts of the case, the Tennessee driver’s license revocation can range from one year to more than ten years.  Once the revocation period expires, the person is not allowed to simply start driving. Rather, specific steps must be taken to have one’s driver’s license properly reinstated with the Tennessee Department of Safety.

Failure to reinstate your Tennessee driver’s license could result in your arrest if you drive while unlicensed.  In fact, a conviction for Driving on a Revoked, Suspended or Canceled Driver’s License could result in a mandatory jail sentence if your license had been revoked, suspended, or canceled as a result of a DUI conviction.  Eligibility for driver’s license reinstatement is not a defense to this crime.

To find out when your Tennessee driver’s license is eligible for reinstatement and to how to accomplish this goal, you may click here for detailed information relating to reinstating your Tennessee driving privilege. To obtain this information, you should be prepared to provide your Tennessee driver’s license/ID number.

If you have any additional questions about Tennessee driver’s license consequences of a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction, Steve Oberman and Sara Compher-Rice are available to speak with you and answer your questions.  Steve and Sara can be reached by calling (865) 249-7200.  You may also find additional information about the crime and consequences of DUI on our firm’s websites: and


, , , , , , , ,

  1. #1 by Travis - August 20th, 2016 at 16:40

    My name is travis I had a dui and 6 months ago I caught a driving on revoked I was able to get my license back but bcs I had a driving on revoked ok now my 6 months is up and I looks to see the exact date I could get them back and it said I was eligible to get them back the fourth Minh of next year that’s almost a year and a half for driving on a revoked I’m so upset and don’t know how to correct this problem can someone please help me

  2. #2 by Joe Don Rouse - August 23rd, 2016 at 16:45

    I am looking for a reasonably priced place that helps with getting a revoked drivers license back. I am eligible. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

  3. #3 by Sara Compher-Rice - July 9th, 2020 at 10:33

    Please note that the Tennessee Department of Safety regulations are subject to change so you would need to contact them directly to verify whether you will need to take both the written and driving tests upon reinstatement of your driver’s license. Best of luck!

  4. #4 by Steve Oberman - October 11th, 2020 at 13:52

    Thank you for reaching out to Oberman and Rice with your question. Due to ever-changing laws, we do not provide such answers unless we are retained and research the current law. If you prefer, you may contact us at (865) 249-7200 when one of our lawyers will be happy to assist you.

  5. #5 by Steve Oberman - October 11th, 2020 at 13:53

    Thank you for reaching out to Oberman and Rice with your question. I suggest you contact the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security at ‭(615) 251-5166‬. I am certain they will be pleased to answer your question.

  6. #6 by Sara Compher-Rice - December 22nd, 2020 at 08:37

    Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we cannot give legal advice prior to being retained and obtaining detailed information about the circumstances surrounding the status of your friend’s driver’s license. Please feel free to have her contact the Oberman & Rice Law Firm at (865) 249-7200 where one of our lawyers will be happy to speak with her.

  7. #7 by Sara Compher-Rice - December 22nd, 2020 at 08:38

    The answer will depend upon the facts and circumstances surrounding your DUI conviction. Please feel free to contact our lawyers at the Oberman & Rice Law Firm to see if we may assist you in this matter. We can be reached by calling (865) 249-7200.

(will not be published)

  1. No trackbacks yet.